7 Best Golf Balls for Distance in 2023
We independently research, test, review, and recommend the best products— this post may contain affiliate links you can view our affiliate disclosure here
Are you tired of being outdriven by your buddies, feeling like a tortoise trying to keep up with a pack of hares? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
The secret to turning the tables might just lie in the best golf balls for distance. Say goodbye to watching your golf ball plop down well short of your friends’ drives, and hello to launching rockets down the fairway.
In this article, we’ll take you through the top 7 distance golf balls available that can help you unleash your inner golfing superhero and make your friends green with envy. Buckle up, because we’re about to blast off into the world of high-flying golf balls!
Why Do You Need A Golf Ball for Distance?
A golf ball for distance is essential for several reasons that can significantly impact your overall performance on the golf course. Here’s why you need a distance golf ball:
- Longer Drives: Distance golf balls are designed to help you achieve longer drives, which can be crucial in setting up easier approach shots to the green. This can help lower your scores and improve your overall golf game.
- Increased Confidence: When you know you have a golf ball that provides maximum distance, it can boost your confidence, leading to better swings and ultimately better shots.
- Better Course Management: A longer ball can help you better navigate the golf course, allowing you to clear hazards more easily and reach certain parts of the fairway or green that you might not have been able to reach with a shorter ball.
- Compensate for Slower Swing Speeds: Golfers with slower swing speeds can benefit from distance golf balls, as they are designed to optimize ball speed and launch angle, making it easier to achieve longer shots even with a slower swing.
- Energy Efficiency: Distance golf balls are engineered with high-energy cores that transfer energy more efficiently from the clubface to the ball, resulting in increased distance.
- Aerodynamics: Distance golf balls typically feature dimple designs and construction elements that promote better lift and reduce drag, helping the ball maintain a higher trajectory and longer flight.
- Versatility: While distance is the primary focus, many distance golf balls also provide a good balance of feel and control, making them versatile options suitable for various types of shots on the course.
In summary, having a golf ball for distance can greatly enhance your golf game by allowing you to hit longer drives, boost your confidence, and improve your course management. Whether you’re a high handicapper or an average golfer, investing in a distance golf ball can contribute to better performance on the golf course.
How to Choose the Best Golf Ball for Distance
When it comes to choosing the best golf ball for distance, there are several factors to consider to ensure you make the right choice for your game. Here’s a comprehensive buying guide to help you find the perfect distance golf ball:
Compression is a measure of how much the golf ball compresses upon impact with the clubface. Golf balls with lower compression ratings (below 80) are softer and generally better suited for golfers with slower swing speeds, as they compress more easily, maximizing energy transfer and distance. Higher compression balls (90 or above) are designed for golfers with faster swing speeds, providing more distance and control for them.
Golf balls are available in various constructions, ranging from one-piece to five-piece designs. For distance, two-piece and three-piece golf balls are the most common options. Two-piece balls feature a large, high-energy core and a durable cover, offering maximum distance and a firmer feel. Three-piece balls have an additional layer, which can improve spin and control without sacrificing distance.
The core is a crucial component of a distance golf ball, as it directly impacts the ball’s energy transfer and overall performance. Look for golf balls with a high-energy core, as they will deliver more distance off the tee and with your long irons.
4. Dimple Design
The dimple design on a golf ball can significantly impact its aerodynamics, lift, and overall distance. Look for golf balls with dimple designs that promote higher launch angles and reduce drag, helping the ball maintain a longer and more stable flight.
5. Cover Material
Golf ball covers are generally made of either Surlyn or urethane. Surlyn covers are more durable and offer more distance, while urethane covers provide a softer feel and better greenside control. For distance-focused golf balls, Surlyn covers are typically the preferred choice.
Consider your budget when selecting a distance golf ball. While premium golf balls often provide better performance, there are many affordable options on the market that can still offer excellent distance and overall performance.
7. Personal Preferences
Your swing speed, skill level, and personal preferences will play a significant role in choosing the best golf ball for distance. Be sure to take these factors into account when making your decision.
By considering the factors mentioned above and assessing your golfing needs, you can confidently choose the best golf ball for distance that will help improve your game and maximize your performance on the golf course.
Did you know that the first golf balls used in the 14th century were made of wood? They were crafted from hardwoods like beech or boxwood. It wasn’t until the early 17th century that “featherie” golf balls, made of leather and stuffed with feathers, were introduced. These balls offered better flight and performance compared to wooden golf balls but were expensive and time-consuming to produce. Thankfully, modern golf ball technology has come a long way since then, offering greater distance, control, and durability for golfers of all skill levels!
Our Top Picks for the Best Golf Balls for Distance
1. TaylorMade Distance+ Golf Balls
The TaylorMade Distance+ Golf Balls are designed for golfers seeking maximum distance without breaking the bank. The LSX core and low-drag dimple design work together to provide high launch and increased lift, making them an excellent choice for players with slower swing speeds.
- High-energy core for maximum distance
- Low-drag dimple design for increased lift
- Surlyn cover for durability and control
- Higher compression may not suit golfers with very slow swing speeds
- Not the softest feel around the greens
- Main Benefit: The LSX core delivers exceptional speed, making them one of the best balls for distance.
2. Titleist Velocity Golf Balls
The Titleist Velocity Golf Balls are premium golf balls crafted for golfers who desire ultimate speed and distance. Featuring a high-energy core and an advanced dimple design, these balls offer a high launch and low long-game spin, making them an ideal option for high handicappers.
- High-energy core for explosive distance
- Low long-game spin for straighter shots
- High launch for better carry
- Firmer feel may not be preferred by all golfers
- Limited short game control
- Main Benefit: The advanced dimple design promotes a high launch for maximum carry and distance.
3. Callaway Supersoft Golf Balls
Callaway Supersoft Golf Balls deliver an impressive combination of distance and a soft feel. The ultra-low compression and high-energy core provide enhanced control around the greens and long, straight shots, making them perfect for golfers who prioritize both distance and feel.
- Ultra-low compression for a soft feel
- Enhanced short game control
- HEX aerodynamics for long, straight shots
- Not the highest-launching ball
- Surlyn cover may not provide as much spin as urethane
- Main Benefit: The two-piece construction with a high-energy core ensures both distance and a soft feel.
4. Bridgestone e12 Soft Golf Balls
Bridgestone e12 Soft Golf Balls offer a perfect blend of soft feel, maximum distance, and improved accuracy. The three-piece construction, Active Acceleration Mantle, and unique dimple design work together to provide distance, feel, and accuracy, making them a top choice for the average golfer.
- Active Acceleration Mantle for increased ball speed
- Dimple design reduces drag for better lift
- Soft feel around the greens
- Not the best option for golfers with very high swing speeds
- Surlyn cover may not provide optimal greenside control
- Main Benefit: The three-piece construction with a high-energy core delivers distance, feel, and accuracy.
5. Srixon Soft Feel Golf Balls
Srixon Soft Feel Golf Balls are specifically designed for golfers with slower swing speeds who still want to achieve maximum distance and a soft feel around the greens. The low compression, high-launch design, and 338 Speed Dimple Design reduce drag and enhance lift for better distance performance.
- Low compression for a soft feel
- High launch for added carry
- Enhanced greenside control
- Not as durable as some other options
- May not be ideal for golfers with faster swing speeds
- Main Benefit: The 338 Speed Dimple Design reduces drag for better lift and distance.
6. Wilson Staff DUO Soft+ Golf Balls
The Wilson Staff DUO Soft+ Golf Balls are engineered to provide longer distance and a soft feel for golfers who prefer a lower compression ball. The two-piece construction and high-energy core ensure maximum distance while maintaining excellent greenside control.
- Ultra-low compression for soft feel
- High-energy core for added distance
- Excellent greenside control
- Not as suitable for golfers with very high swing speeds
- Durability may not be on par with premium golf balls
- Main Benefit: The two-piece construction with a high-energy core ensures maximum distance while maintaining a soft feel around the greens.
7. Mizuno RB 566 Golf Balls
Mizuno RB 566 Golf Balls are designed for golfers who want maximum distance without compromising on feel and control. The unique 566 dimple design provides stable ball flight, while the high-launch, low-spin design ensures maximum distance. The three-piece construction and high-energy core deliver the perfect balance of distance, feel, and control.
- Unique 566 dimple design for stable ball flight
- High-launch and low spin for maximum distance
- Soft feel around the greens
- May not be as durable as other premium options
- Urethane cover may not provide the highest level of greenside spin
- Main Benefit: The three-piece construction with a high-energy core delivers a perfect balance of distance, feel, and control.
To wrap up, finding the best golf balls for distance can significantly improve your game. The options listed above cater to a variety of swing speeds and preferences, ensuring there’s a perfect fit for every golfer. So, head over to Amazon and grab one of these top golf balls on the market to take your game to the next level.
In conclusion, finding the best golf ball for distance can significantly improve your overall golfing experience and performance on the course.
By understanding the various factors, such as compression, construction, core, dimple design, cover material, price, and personal preferences, you can make an informed decision that caters to your unique golfing needs.
Take the time to evaluate the different options available and choose a distance golf ball that complements your swing speed, skill level, and playing style. Investing in the right golf ball can not only enhance your game but also boost your confidence on the course, helping you achieve lower scores and enjoy the game even more.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is the main difference between distance golf balls and other golf balls?
How important is swing speed when choosing a golf ball for distance?
Can a distance golf ball also provide good control and feel around the greens?
Do golf balls lose their distance performance over time?
How can I determine if a specific golf ball is suitable for my game?
How many dimples should a distance golf ball have?
Also check out our other top lists: