Kayaking with your dog can be a memorable experience. But not all kayaks are equipped to safely and comfortably accommodate your four-legged friend.
Choosing the best kayak for dogs involves considering factors like weight capacity, storage compartments, and of course, whether the kayak is dog friendly. Below, we've compiled a list of the 7 best kayaks for dogs, each with plenty of room, secure compartments, and built with your pet in mind.
We independently research, test, review, and recommend the best products— this post may contain affiliate links you can view our affiliate disclosure here
Did you know that certain dog breeds are more naturally suited to water activities like kayaking? Breeds such as Labrador Retrievers, Portuguese Water Dogs, and Newfoundlands have historically been bred for water work. They possess a natural affinity for water, making them excellent companions for your kayak adventures. However, with proper safety precautions and training, most dogs can enjoy kayaking alongside their human companions.
Buying Guide for the Best Kayak for Dogs
Purchasing a kayak that can accommodate you and your furry friend requires careful consideration of several factors. Here's a detailed guide to help you find the perfect dog-friendly kayak:
1. Type of Kayak
There are different types of kayaks, including tandem kayaks, sit on top kayaks, sit in kayaks, and inflatable kayaks.
Tandem kayaks are great if you want to paddle with a partner and your dog. However, they can be heavier and harder to maneuver.
Sit on top kayaks offer more room for your dog to move around, making them one of the best choices for dog owners. They also tend to be more stable and easier to get in and out of.
Sit in kayaks offer more control and speed but might be less comfortable for larger dogs.
Inflatable kayaks are convenient for transport and storage but make sure they are puncture resistant if you plan to bring your dog along.
2. Size and Weight Capacity
The size of the kayak and its weight capacity are critical. If you have a large dog, you will need a kayak with a high weight capacity and plenty of room. The kayak should comfortably accommodate you, your dog, and your gear without exceeding its weight limit.
Stability is crucial when kayaking with dogs. Look for a wide, flat-bottomed kayak as these tend to be the most stable. A stable kayak will keep you and your dog safe and make the experience more enjoyable.
4. Storage Space
Whether you're going for a short paddle or a day-long adventure, you'll need storage compartments for your gear and dog supplies. Some kayaks come equipped with built-in storage compartments, while others may require you to add extra storage.
5. Durability and Construction
Choose a kayak made from durable materials that can withstand your dog's claws. Many inflatable kayaks are made with puncture-resistant materials, making them suitable for dogs.
6. Easy to Carry
Some kayaks are heavy and awkward to carry. Look for a kayak with carry handles that makes transportation easier.
Like any product, the price of kayaks can vary significantly. Balance your budget with your needs and remember to consider the kayak's features and durability.
By considering these factors, you will be able to choose the best kayak for you and your dog. Remember, safety is paramount. Always ensure your dog wears a life vest, and it's a good idea to do some short test runs near the shore before embarking on a longer journey.
Our Top Picks for the Best Kayak for Dogs
|Type of Kayak
|Weight Capacity (lbs)
|Ocean Kayak Malibu Two Tandem Kayak
|Extra space for a dog, storage compartments
|Sea Eagle SE370 Inflatable Kayak
|Puncture-resistant, ample storage space
|Lower capacity for larger paddlers with big dogs, inflation time
|Intex Excursion Pro Kayak
|Plenty of room for gear and dog, storage compartments
|Less puncture-resistant, only one color option
|Perception Pescador Pro 12
|Sit on Top Kayak
|Non-slip surface, storage space
|Difficult to transport, only one paddler
|Sun Dolphin Aruba SS 12-Foot Sit-in Kayak
|Sit in Kayak
|Large cockpit, storage compartments
|Lower capacity, may feel unstable for inexperienced paddlers
|Lifetime Tamarack Angler 100 Fishing Kayak
|Ample storage, stable design
|Limited weight capacity, more suitable for calm waters
|Advanced Elements AdvancedFrame Inflatable Kayak
|Puncture-resistant, high weight capacity
|Takes time to inflate and deflate, less storage compared to hard-shell kayaks
This table provides a quick comparison of the top 7 best kayaks for dogs. Each one has been evaluated based on their dog-friendly features, weight capacity, and key cons.
1. Ocean Kayak Malibu Two Tandem Kayak
The Ocean Kayak Malibu is a tandem kayak with a twist. Not only does it have plenty of room for two humans, it also boasts an additional space for your dog to sit. Whether you have smaller dogs or a large dog, this kayak can accommodate.
- Has storage compartments for gear and dog treats.
- A generous weight capacity accommodating two adults and a dog.
- Dog friendly design with a space dedicated for your pet.
- At 57 pounds, it may require two people to carry despite having carry handles.
- More expensive than other recreational kayaks.
The Ocean Kayak Malibu is a fantastic choice due to its dedicated dog space and tandem design. Its robust weight capacity and ample storage make it one of the best kayaks for dogs.
2. Sea Eagle SE370 Inflatable Kayak
The Sea Eagle SE370 is an inflatable kayak designed for dog lovers. It's built with puncture-resistant material to withstand dog claws, and the spacious design is perfect for both smaller dogs and large dogs alike.
- Incredibly lightweight and portable, with carry handles for easy transport.
- Storage space is not an issue with the Sea Eagle.
- This dog friendly kayak is built with puncture resistant material.
- Lower weight capacity might not suit larger paddlers with big dogs.
- Inflation time can be lengthy.
Despite its cons, the Sea Eagle SE370 stands out as one of the best kayaks for dogs due to its dog-friendly design and excellent storage compartments.
3. Intex Excursion Pro Kayak
The Intex Excursion Pro Kayak is a high-capacity inflatable kayak. Its sturdy design, coupled with its weight capacity, makes it a suitable fishing kayak that's also dog friendly.
- A good fishing kayak, with plenty of room for your fishing gear and dog.
- Inflatable but strong, with a high weight capacity.
- Comes with storage compartments for easy organization.
- Not as puncture-resistant as the Sea Eagle.
- Only one color option available.
The Intex Excursion Pro is a great kayak for dogs, especially if you plan on fishing. The ample storage and high weight capacity add to its appeal.
4. Perception Pescador Pro 12
The Perception Pescador Pro 12 is a single-person sit on top kayak designed for fishing. It provides plenty of room and a non-slip surface that's great for dogs.
- The non-slip surface is great for large dogs and smaller dogs.
- Has enough storage space to keep your essentials and pet gear.
- A decent weight capacity that can accommodate you and your pet.
- Not inflatable, hence more difficult to transport.
- Only one person can paddle.
Despite its cons, the Perception Pescador Pro 12 is a top pick for its non-slip surface and excellent storage space, making it a dog friendly kayak.
5. Sun Dolphin Aruba SS 12-Foot Sit-in Kayak
This sit-in kayak is another great option for paddlers with pets. With a large cockpit and plenty of room, it makes for a great dog friendly kayak.
- Large cockpit design perfect for a dog to sit in.
- Includes storage compartments for your gear and dog supplies.
- Lightweight and easy to carry.
- Lower weight capacity compared to tandem kayaks.
- May feel unstable for inexperienced paddlers.
The Sun Dolphin Aruba SS 12 is an excellent kayak for dogs due to its large cockpit and lightweight design.
6. Lifetime Tamarack Angler 100 Fishing Kayak
The Lifetime Tamarack Angler 100 is one of the best fishing kayaks out there and it has plenty of room for your canine companion.
- Ample storage compartments for all your fishing and pet supplies.
- Adjustable padded seat for comfort during long trips.
- Stable and durable design.
- The weight capacity might be limited for larger paddlers with big dogs.
- More suitable for calm waters and not rough conditions.
Given its stable design and excellent storage compartments, the Lifetime Tamarack Angler 100 is a top contender for the best kayak for dogs.
7. Advanced Elements AdvancedFrame Inflatable Kayak
The Advanced Elements AdvancedFrame is a convertible inflatable kayak that is perfect for paddling with pets.
- Inflatable design makes it easy to transport.
- High weight capacity, allowing for larger paddlers and dogs.
- Built with puncture-resistant material.
- Takes time to inflate and deflate.
- Less storage space compared to hard-shell kayaks.
The Advanced Elements AdvancedFrame is a versatile and dog-friendly kayak that combines the best aspects of inflatable and hard-shell kayaks.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I take my dog kayaking?
What is the best kayak for dogs?
Are inflatable kayaks safe for dogs?
How much weight can a kayak hold?
Can large dogs go on kayaks?
Are there any special preparations needed for kayaking with dogs?
Where should my dog sit in the kayak?
As we paddle towards the sunset of this comprehensive guide, it's clear that kayaking with our four-legged friends can open up a whole new world of aquatic adventures. The rhythmic splash of your paddle, the soft lapping of the waves against the hull, and your dog's excited panting create an unparalleled symphony of nature.
Each of the kayaks we've explored brings its own unique strengths to the table, catering to the varied needs of paddlers and their canine companions. From the spacious Ocean Kayak Malibu Two Tandem Kayak to the puncture-resistant Sea Eagle SE370, there's a vessel out there ready to transform your dog walks into dog paddles.
Remember, the “best kayak for dogs” doesn't have a one-size-fits-all answer. It's a personal choice, dependent on the individual characteristics of you and your pup. Whether you have an agile Jack Russell Terrier or a courageous Newfoundland, there's a kayak that will serve as your loyal vessel.
In the end, safety and enjoyment are paramount. Equipped with the knowledge from this guide, you're ready to embark on this exciting journey. Picture the horizon as your finish line, the open water as your trail, and the endless blue sky as your limit. You and your dog, companions in adventure, are all set to explore the great aquatic expanse.
Happy kayaking, and may your adventures be filled with tail wags and unforgettable memories!
Also check out our other top lists: