Welcome to the world of hair care, where the right shampoo is your first line of defense in maintaining luscious and healthy locs. If you're on the journey of nurturing your dreadlocks, you're probably aware that not all shampoos are created equal.
You need something more than just a squeaky clean finish. You need the best shampoo for locs, one that ensures your hair is residue free, promotes hair growth, and enhances overall scalp and hair health.
We independently research, test, review, and recommend the best products— this post may contain affiliate links you can view our affiliate disclosure here
The quest for such a shampoo can seem endless and daunting. There are too many shampoos claiming to work wonders on your locs, but how many of them actually live up to their claims? How many of them ensure that your hair is truly residue free? How many cater to specific hair needs such as oily hair or dry scalps? And, importantly, how many of them are imbued with enriching natural ingredients that work from the root to tip to invigorate your locs?
Well, we have done the heavy lifting for you, combing through countless products to identify the crème de la crème of shampoos for dreadlocks. From those rich in tea tree oil, known for its rejuvenating properties, to those boasting the ultra-moisturizing benefits of coconut oil. From the ones promising the revitalizing effects of essential oils and jojoba oil, to those which carry the nourishing wonders of Jamaican mango and lime tingle. Each one is a star in its own right, armed with the power to transform your dreadlock journey.
So, buckle up as we unveil the 11 best shampoos for locs that not only ensure a squeaky clean, residue free finish but also tick the right boxes in enhancing the health of your scalp and hair, thereby promoting overall hair growth. Rest assured, each of these champions is easily available on Amazon US, ready to revolutionize your hair care routine.
Our Top Picks for the Best Shampoo for Locs
|Shea Moisture African Black Soap Shampoo
|Tea Tree Oil, Jojoba Oil
|Fights oily hair, soothes dry scalps
|Jamaican Mango & Lime Tingle Shampoo
|Jamaican Mango and Lime Tingle
|Promotes hair growth, residue-free cleanse
|Dr. Bronner’s Pure-Castile Liquid Soap
|Maple Holistics Degrease Shampoo
|Combats excessive oil production
|Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo
|Removes residual products
|Design Essentials Oat Protein & Henna Deep Cleansing Shampoo
|Oat Protein, Henna
|Strengthens hair, reduces breakage
|Eden BodyWorks Peppermint Tea Tree Shampoo
|Peppermint, Tea Tree Oil
|Soothes and refreshes the scalp
|Dry and Itchy Scalps
|Dollylocks Nag Champa Dreadlock Shampoo
|Coconut Oil, Essential Oils
|Balances scalp's pH, promotes hair growth
|Balanced Hair Care
|Taliah Waajid Protective Styles Bamboo And Coconut Milk Strengthening Leave-in Conditioner
|Bamboo, Coconut Milk
|Strengthens and conditions hair
|Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Shampoo with Peppermint, Tea Tree, and Eucalyptus Botanicals
|Peppermint, Tea Tree Oil, Eucalyptus
|Invigorates scalp, deep cleanse
|Alaffia Authentic African Black Soap All-in-One, Lavender Ylang Ylang
|Lavender, Ylang Ylang
|Soothes scalp, promotes hair growth
Remember, the best shampoo for locs is the one that best addresses your specific hair needs while also leaving your hair residue free and healthy.
- Did you know that dreadlocks have been around for a very long time? The earliest evidence of locs can be traced back to ancient civilizations. Archaeologists have discovered Egyptian mummies with dreadlocks that date back as far as 2500 B.C. These locs were created using beeswax, which served as a natural ingredient to hold the locs together, much like how modern-day dreadlock shampoos use natural ingredients like tea tree oil, jojoba oil, and coconut oil to maintain and nourish the locs. So, it appears that even in ancient times, people understood the importance of using the right products to take care of their dreadlocks!
1. Shea Moisture African Black Soap Shampoo
As a clarifying shampoo, the Shea Moisture African Black Soap Shampoo is specially designed to fight oily hair and dry scalps. With a blend of natural ingredients like tea tree oil and jojoba oil, this shampoo leaves your locs residue free and moisturized.
- Pros: The blend of tea tree oil and jojoba oil fights oily hair and soothes dry scalps. It also helps in maintaining healthy hair follicles.
- Cons: It might not lather as much due to its sulfate free formulation.
- Main Benefit: It's ideal for those with sensitive scalps and is 100% sulfate and paraben free.
- Why we recommend it: It ensures your hair is squeaky clean from root to tip without stripping away its natural oils.
2. Jamaican Mango & Lime Tingle Shampoo
The Jamaican Mango & Lime Tingle Shampoo provides a refreshing cleanse for your locs. Infused with Jamaican Mango and Lime Tingle, it invigorates the scalp and stimulates hair growth.
- Pros: Promotes hair growth, and leaves your dreadlocks feeling fresh and clean.
- Cons: The tingling sensation might not be comfortable for everyone.
- Main Benefit: Stimulates hair growth while ensuring a residue free cleanse.
- Why we recommend it: The tingling sensation is refreshing and invigorating, promoting blood circulation to your hair follicles.
3. Dr. Bronner’s Pure-Castile Liquid Soap
This versatile product is not only one of the best shampoos for dreads, but also an excellent body wash. Made with coconut oil, it hydrates your locs, leaving them soft and moisturized.
- Pros: Highly versatile, can be used as a shampoo and body wash.
- Cons: The consistency might be too liquid for some.
- Main Benefit: Moisturizes locs effectively with coconut oil.
- Why we recommend it: It's a great two-in-one solution, perfect for individuals who prefer simplified routines.
4. Maple Holistics Degrease Shampoo
Best for people struggling with oily hair, the Maple Holistics Degrease Shampoo includes essential oils like lemon and rosemary to provide a clarifying shampoo experience.
- Pros: It's perfect for oily hair, ensuring a squeaky clean feel without over-drying.
- Cons: Might not be as effective for extremely dry scalps.
- Main Benefit: It leaves your locs residue free and clean without over-drying.
- Why we recommend it: It's a perfect blend of natural and essential oils designed to combat excessive oil production.
5. Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo
As one of the best shampoos for locs, Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo clarifies your scalp and locs by eliminating any buildup.
- Pros: Great at removing product buildup, ensuring a residue free cleanse.
- Cons: Might be too drying for some, best to follow up with a conditioner or oil.
- Main Benefit: It's excellent for a deep clean.
- Why we recommend it: It effectively removes any residual products, leaving your locs feeling lighter and more refreshed.
6. Design Essentials Oat Protein & Henna Deep Cleansing Shampoo
One of the best shampoos for dreads, Design Essentials shampoo combines oat protein and henna to deliver a residue free cleanse that also strengthens your hair.
- Pros: Strengthens hair and reduces breakage, excellent for color-treated hair.
- Cons: Some people may not like the strong scent.
- Main Benefit: It promotes stronger hair, reducing breakage.
- Why we recommend it: It's a fortifying shampoo that gives a thorough cleanse and fortifies the hair from root to tip.
7. Eden BodyWorks Peppermint Tea Tree Shampoo
If you have a dry and itchy scalp, this clarifying shampoo from Eden BodyWorks can provide the relief you're looking for. The presence of peppermint and tea tree oil soothes and stimulates the scalp.
- Pros: It soothes and refreshes the scalp, excellent for dry and itchy scalps.
- Cons: The peppermint sensation might be intense for some.
- Main Benefit: Soothes dry scalps and reduces itchiness.
- Why we recommend it: The unique blend of peppermint and tea tree oil makes this shampoo invigorating and refreshing.
8. Dollylocks Nag Champa Dreadlock Shampoo
The Dollylocks Nag Champa Dreadlock Shampoo is a well-balanced solution perfect for maintaining healthy locs. Formulated with coconut oil and a variety of essential oils, this shampoo strengthens and nourishes your locs.
- Pros: Balances scalp's natural pH, promotes hair growth and strength.
- Cons: The nag champa scent may not be to everyone's liking.
- Main Benefit: Balances your scalp's pH levels and promotes hair growth.
- Why we recommend it: It's a perfectly balanced shampoo that encourages hair growth and ensures your hair remains residue free.
9. Taliah Waajid Protective Styles Bamboo And Coconut Milk Strengthening Leave-in Conditioner
Although not a shampoo, the Taliah Waajid conditioner deserves a spot in our list as it strengthens your hair and leaves no residue.
- Pros: Leaves your hair strengthened and conditioned without any residue.
- Cons: Not a shampoo, but a leave-in conditioner.
- Main Benefit: Strengthens your hair and leaves it feeling soft and nourished.
- Why we recommend it: It's great for days when you want to give your hair a break from shampooing but still want it to remain clean and conditioned.
10. Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Shampoo with Peppermint, Tea Tree, and Eucalyptus Botanicals
Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Shampoo offers an invigorating cleanse with its blend of peppermint, tea tree oil, and eucalyptus. It cleanses your locs and leaves them squeaky clean.
- Pros: Invigorates the scalp and cleanses the hair deeply.
- Cons: Not suitable for those sensitive to strong scents.
- Main Benefit: Provides a deep, refreshing cleanse.
- Why we recommend it: The blend of essential oils offers an invigorating experience while ensuring your locs remain residue free.
11. Alaffia Authentic African Black Soap All-in-One, Lavender Ylang Ylang
Our list of best shampoos for dreadlocks wraps up with this authentic African black soap shampoo from Alaffia. Infused with lavender and ylang-ylang, it soothes your scalp and promotes hair growth.
- Pros: It soothes the scalp and promotes hair growth.
- Cons: The scent might be too strong for some people.
- Main Benefit: It cleanses your locs while promoting hair growth.
- Why we recommend it: The blend of natural ingredients gives your locs the best treatment, leaving them clean and ready for growth.
Choosing the best shampoo for locs is essential to maintain the health of your scalp and hair. By using these shampoos, your dreadlocks will remain clean, healthy, and residue free. Don't forget to pay attention to what your locs need and choose the shampoo that suits you the best. Happy locs journey!
A Detailed Buying Guide: Choosing the Best Shampoo for Locs
Choosing the best shampoo for your dreadlocks is not a decision to be taken lightly. Your shampoo plays a key role in maintaining the health and appearance of your locs. To help you navigate through the vast world of dreadlock shampoos, here's an easy-to-understand buying guide:
1. Check for Residue-Free Formulations
Shampoos that leave residues can lead to buildup, causing your dreadlocks to look dull and lifeless. Choose shampoos that promise a residue-free finish. These shampoos will clean your hair thoroughly, leaving your locs squeaky clean without any unwanted buildup.
2. Natural Ingredients
Natural ingredients such as tea tree oil, jojoba oil, and coconut oil are excellent for locs as they nourish and moisturize your hair without causing damage. Look out for these ingredients when selecting your shampoo. They offer added benefits like promoting hair growth and strengthening hair from root to tip.
3. Clarifying Shampoos
Clarifying shampoos are designed to give your hair and scalp a deep clean. They can help remove buildup from the scalp and hair, making them perfect for dreadlocks. But be aware, clarifying shampoos should not be used too frequently as they can strip away natural oils from your scalp and hair.
4. Consider Your Hair Type
Not all dreadlocks are the same. You may have dry, oily, or combination hair, and it's important to choose a shampoo that caters to your specific hair type. For example, if you have oily hair, consider a shampoo that helps balance oil production. For dry scalps, look for moisturizing ingredients like coconut oil or jojoba oil.
5. Avoid Harsh Chemicals
When choosing the best shampoo for locs, it's advisable to avoid products with harsh chemicals such as sulfates and parabens. These can be damaging to your hair and scalp. Instead, opt for shampoos that are sulfate-free and contain mild and natural ingredients.
6. Invigorating Ingredients
Ingredients like Jamaican mango and lime tingle or tea tree oil can stimulate your scalp, promoting blood circulation and, consequently, hair growth. These ingredients can also give a refreshing sensation, making your hair washing experience even more enjoyable.
Remember, the best shampoo for your locs is one that suits your specific needs while also enhancing the overall health of your scalp and hair. Your dreadlocks are a representation of you, and they deserve the best care possible. Happy shampoo shopping!
Frequently Asked Questions
How often should I wash my dreadlocks?
Can I use regular shampoo on my locs?
Do I need to use a conditioner on my dreadlocks?
Can I use oil on my dreadlocks?
Can I use clarifying shampoo on my locs?
Why does my scalp itch after I wash my locs?
Can I dye my locs?
Caring for your dreadlocks is a journey, not a destination. It is an art that requires the right balance of knowledge and product choices. Remember, your dreadlocks are more than just a hairstyle; they are a testament to your personality, your resilience, and your style.
The shampoos you choose play a critical role in this journey. They not only keep your dreadlocks clean and residue-free but also contribute significantly to the health of your scalp and hair. So, choosing a shampoo should not just be about cleaning your locs; it should also be about nourishing them, protecting them, and helping them thrive.
We hope this guide has been a valuable resource in your quest for the best shampoo for locs. With options ranging from those packed with tea tree oil and coconut oil to those infused with Jamaican mango and lime tingle, you're now armed with knowledge to make an informed choice.
So, go ahead, select a shampoo that speaks to you and let your dreadlocks enjoy the pampering they deserve. After all, great locs don't happen by chance; they happen by appointment, and your appointment with the best dreadlock shampoos starts right here!
Here's to happier, healthier, and more radiant locs!
Also check our other top lists: